Frequently Asked Questions
A philanthropic partnership between the Hallowed History Charitable Trust and the social enterprise company Hallowed History Limited. Backed by many renowned Veterans, VIP’s and Gold Star Families from across the world, who were all properly informed, it works this way:
- The Company builds and donates charitable versions of its technology to the Charitable Trust to use for 100% charitable purposes, at no cost to the Trust.
- Every cent raised by the Trust must and will only be used for 100% charitable purposes and must be donated to other accredited charities after the Trust’s costs have been met.
- Anyone associated with the Trust and/or the Company, including their families and friends, are legally forbidden from profiting from the activities of the Trust.
This arrangement was fully reviewed and approved by the Trust’s auditors Deloitte and by the New Zealand Government regulators Charities Services, before they registered the Hallowed History Charitable Trust.
Anyone who shares our vision and is willing to help veterans, schools and children using the technologies we create. Information Technology (IT), Business and Film professionals are already on board, along with highly decorated veterans from throughout the world. Others who cherish the same values are welcome and will be invited.
A web and cellular mobile system for presenting audio-visual veteran histories at war grave sites and memorials, which can also be viewed at home.
- To honour and keep the memory of past veterans alive.
- To raise money for surviving veterans in need.
- To fundraise for schools and to educate our children about service, courage and community through the histories of local heroes.
No. The history of every veteran, whether they died in service or passed away years later is valuable, relevant and will be accepted.
A cell phone App that will identify and lead users to veteran graves via GPS, then play their audio-visual history off the Hallowed History website. Each veteran will also have their own page on the website, allowing registered users to view and upload the histories at home.
For veterans – through revenue raised by our charitable YouTube channel, small fees or donation calls to veteran families and friends to upload histories into the mobile system, discreet advertising and corporate sponsorship.
For schools – by aligning with schools and local businesses to create sponsored Augmented Reality history projects.
Once the running costs of our Charitable Trust have been met, every cent will go to accredited veteran charities and to schools.
Through a marketing campaign that draws extensively on veteran support for the cause and the educational lessons it delivers. We believe that such a new and captivating way of profiling veterans, coupled with veteran messages, will naturally attract media coverage. So will the support stories, profiling the veterans who benefit.
Yes. It relies on proven technology and a working prototype has already been built. It’s designed by IT professionals who have helped to build and deliver many complex, multi-million dollar applications.
Through direct capture by Hallowed History staff and family members uploading the history (a cell phone command signal from the gravesite locations will register the co-ordinates) OR by overlaying the cemetery maps and pinpointing the grave locations through Google Earth.
Like every other GPS application, it depends on so many variables that a consistent reading is impossible to guarantee. We will be completely open about this in the Terms & Conditions, aiming for an average radius, standard-case-scenario of approximately 10 feet. As a backup, the system will always publish the section, row and plot number of each grave whenever these are available.
Absolutely. We are fully committed to ensuring that our costs are reasonable and are limited to the promotion, management and maintenance of the charitable technologies we release.
Because our field of expertise lies in managing new technologies and working with families to create great stories. Established charities are better equipped at making sure the money goes to those who truly need it. Although we will retain oversight, we will leave that to them.
Not at all. On the contrary, Hallowed History will promote the fact that most veterans transition into society extremely well. What we are concerned about is helping the minority that need support.
No, not with total certainty. But the risk will be mitigated by the fact that subscribers will be uploading the history and paying a fee. Bottom line, we believe any negative impact of a few people uploading inaccurate content will be far outweighed by the benefits of the vast majority that will be accurate and contributing to the veteran charities.
Yes. All uploads will be screened for content suitability and any attempt to upload objectionable material will be a clear breach of the accepted Terms & Conditions, forfeiting the fee. Anything detected and deemed to be objectionable will not be published.
- A prototype has been confidentially released and the design for the final version is complete.
- Extensive internal and independent ˈon-siteˈ testing has been completed in cemeteries across Australasia, Europe and the USA, with sufficiently accurate results gained in all locations.
- Proof of concept exercises were completed at the West Point Military Academy Cemetery in New York, USA and the US Military Cemetery in Normandy, France. Every veteran in every grave (over 20,000) have been covered at those sacred places.
- It can take users remotely to over 56,000 memorial and burial locations across the world, each associated to the 1.2 million plus veterans in the database.
- We can geolocate, from New Zealand, almost every grave in over 1450 major Commonwealth War Grave Commission cemeteries.
Hallowed History is a fully registered Charitable Trust. It is supported by the social enterprise company, Hallowed History Limited, which is committed to building and donating versions of its technology to the Charitable Trust.
Anyone associated with the Hallowed History Charitable Trust and/or Hallowed History Limited, including their families and friends, are legally forbidden from profiting from the activities of the Trust. They can charge the Trust for legitimate services they provide, but only at the same rate that would normally be paid to an independent person providing the same service.
At this time, every net cent from the Hallowed History YouTube channel will be donated to these charities in these countries, apportioned according to their subscriber numbers, as determined by Google Analytics.
USA: The Congressional Medal of Honor Society and The Folded Flag Foundation
UK: The Veterans' Foundation
Canada: The Royal Canadian Legion
Australia: The RSL Australia and Cams Cause
New Zealand: The RNZRSA
Everywhere else: Your local Red Cross
Please note: Until the coronavirus pandemic is beaten we will be asking all benefitting charities to use the money we raise to help veterans and front line health care workers threatened by COVID-19. If any of the veteran charities cannot meet this request we will donate to an appropriate and accredited local health care charity directly.
When the charitable mobile system and the education program technology are released, all net revenue will go to accredited veteran charities and local schools in your communities.